Shooting at Marshall County High School, Two Dead, 17 Injured
The Kentucky State Police are now saying that a total of 20 people were injured during the shooting. They say 16 suffered gunshot wounds (Previous reports said 19 total, 14 gunshot wounds). This number includes two victims who died.
KSP issued a release with the updated total soon after 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday and later offered a clarification regarding the numbers.
Fourteen of the victims were male and six were female. The victims ranged between 14 to 18 years of age. Two of the victims died, one on the scene, and another after being flown to Vanderbilt Medical Center. Of the four remaining victims at Vanderbilt, three are in critical but stable condition and another is in stable condition.
Marshall County Schools are closed Wednesday.
In a press conference, Governor Matt Bevin said two are dead, 14 suffered from gunshot wounds and five suffered other injuries. The two that died were from gunshot wounds. One dead is a 15-year-old female student, who died on the scene. Another 15-year-old died later from his injuries. (This corrects an earlier report that said 19 were injured in addition to the 2 dead. This clarifies that a total of 19 sustained injury, two of which have died from their injuries.)
The alleged shooter was a 15-year-old male student. He was nonviolently apprehended. Bevin said he will be charged with murder and attempted murder.
Kentucky State Police Commissioner Rick Sanders outlined the morning events. The incident began at 7:57 a.m. when a 15-year-old student armed with a handgun entered the school and started shooting. 911 was contacted soon after. First responders arrived at 8:06 a.m. Students did as they were trained, Sanders said.
The Kentucky State Police critical incident response team, FBI and ATF are conducting the investigation and processing the scene currently. There is much work to be done, Sanders said.
Governor Matt Bevin and local officials are holding a press conference at Noon. KSP Detective Jody Cash said one person is in custody and have not had any reason to believe they are looking for anyone else. He would not confirm the identity of the shooter or the status of any of the victims. Cash said specific information will be made known at the Noon conference.
The roads are backed up to the middle school, some parents have reportedly been waiting since 9:30 a.m. to pick up their child. Some vehicles have been abandoned. At least seven have been reported injured.
Kentucky Department of Education previously confirmed in a tweet that the one confirmed death is a student. The DOE has since deleted that tweet and now says "one person has died."
Kentucky State Police is reporting the scene is secured and the suspect is in custody. A Marshall County Deputy apprehended the shooter.
KSP have confirmed a school shooting at Marshall County High School with multiple victims, one of which has been pronounced dead.
Parents are being notified and students are safe at this time. Marshall County High School students are being bused to North Middle where they can be picked up.
The shooting occurred Tuesday morning.
The high school is in Benton, Kentucky, a few miles west of Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. It is also about 35 miles southeast of Heath High School in Paducah, where 20 years ago student Michael Carneal opened fire on a group of students in a prayer circle, killing three and injuring five.